Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Review of Black Diamond Distance Z-Pole Trekking Poles - Pair

Originally submitted at REI

The light and versatile Black Diamond Distance Z-Pole trekking poles sport a super simple and reliable folding design that is ideal for day hikers, trail runners and backpackers.


Finally a pole for snowboarders!!

By laggy311 from Big Sky, Montana on 4/21/2011

 

5out of 5

Pros: Lightweight

Best Uses: Backpacking, Hiking

Describe Yourself: Avid Adventurer

What Is Your Gear Style: Minimalist

I think someone is targeting snowboarders/splitboarders....

I stumbled on these in my local REI store. They are amazing poles because of their COMPACTABLE size (they are also light..for trekking, i shave 1/2 lb vs my other poles: 12oz!! Not that I am a super-minimalist, but every bit counts).

I live in Big Sky, MT. One of the best parts of Lone Peak, is the A-Z Chutes. There are 2 dozen chutes/couloirs. Amazing terrain! BUT they require hiking. The hike is NASTY!! Probably the single sketchiest hiking i have ever done. Bootpack only, on a ridge that knifes out. At some points it's only one boot wide! You have 60 degree scree on your left (nothing to hang on to and 60degree down to the right (Moonlight Basin Resort). Your foot wants to slip constantly and if you fell (people have) you would tumble 1500ft at least, down the Headwaters of Moonlight. First time up, I didn't even have a backpack! I borrowed one pole from a skier i was with. I bought Yaktrax for my boots and BD Distance Z-poles.

My standard trekking poles (Leki Malalus)are awesome, but were just too protruding out of my day pack to ride around the resort with (22" compacted). Also, pretty dangerous if you wipe out anywhere on the mountain.

I got the BD Distance 120cm (be sure to pick your correct height, or get the proper range with the FlickLock version). Need less to say, my hikes were a lot more confident now that I have these poles.

These are also great for backpacking for one reason, again compact SIZE! Have you ever tried to slip a rain cover over a pack with 2foot poles attached to side of your pack?

Comes with a cool carrying case, rubber and carbide tips. Nice extra feature for the money.

Big Sky, Montana...arrow shows the chutes

thumbnail

View of A-Z's from top of tram

thumbnail

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment