Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Trillium Lake, Oregon..and a bit about dreams

So I decided to take up fishing.  I've got some of my friends gear, 6'6, Medium-Light, Fast Rod with a 6/8 spinning reel and some lures.  Definitely not a Salmon/Steelhead setup, so I went to go find a lake near Mt. Hood.  About 45-60 minutes from my house I arrived at Trillium Lake.  Pretty much directly south of Hood, maybe 175degrees...anyway, just south of Summit bowl and Palmer snowfield (the year-round area where people ski/snowboard on Hood.

I got to the lake and there were people sparsely dabbled here and there: some casting lures, some camping on chairs with bait and bobbers and 2 guys on personal pontoons and even a couple paddleboating around the lake.  I set out and found a spot all to myself on the east shore.  Quite relaxing, got to know the spinning reel intimately.  Tried a few different lures.  No bites.  There was a light wind as dragonflies did their late day play all around me.  Wind was mild and kicked up for 30 minutes as the sun left early over a ridge on the west border of the lake.

About this time, fish started there evening feeding.  The water was almost perfect glass, no wind.  All i could hear was pops of the fish surfacing, with occasional jovial laughter from one of the two pontoon-fishing buddies in the middle of the lake.  You could feel the relaxing vibe across the whole lake.

I decided to head back towards the south shore and some people were trading in fishing poles for cameras.  I decided to throw a few more casts and was rewarded with some Arizona-esque colors in the sky.  The clouds were moving in around Mt. Hood.  It was less like the mountain was saying goodbye, as it still wanted to play; more like the day was saying it's time for things to go to sleep as it wrapped Hood in a blanket of clouds that you could reach out and touch.  One thing I love about the Pacific NW is the clouds.  Yes, it gets rainy, but you are in the clouds almost anywhere you go...which means when you hike, you get view of Willamette Valley (Portland) and others lost under a carpet of clouds with only glacial volcanic peaks breaking the chalk white blanket.  You usually only have to go up to 3k-4k to see this phenomenon.

Honestly, I keep feeling this pull to leave Portland, as nice of a city as it is.

There just seems as though so much more is beckoning me.  With the volcanoes around the NW, from the city they beckon you to experience the forests, lakes, stream and wildlife that lay close to them.  That is what calls to me.  So much more places to experience.  So much less stress of a city.  And before you say it's about escape, it's not.  It's about arrival at things new, things I have wanted to experience forever now.  My own way.  Yes, again my own way.  No I will not get rich.  I will not gain many (big) toys.  I am still going off of my life fits in my _____ vehicle.  My vehicle needs to fit in my finances!  Portland could potentially be a new home to me, but I honestly think I have not found my new home yet.

3 comments:

  1. awesome pictures!! keep on travelin' man! I mean, why the hell not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh....and you said "sparsely dabbled here and there"... hahaha :) nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know that was a good little bit of literacy

    ReplyDelete