Monday, October 18, 2010

Closer to Big Sky

So it's gonna be me, Matt and new friend Stephen from Matt's work going to Big Sky.  Stephen spends winters at Beaver Creek, Colorado usually but he's lookin to switch it up.  Stephen hails from Washington, he's a chill cat that waits tables and can surely smoke me on a snowboard..which means he'll be pushing me and matt to new sick terrain and challenges for sure this season.  Stoked is an understatement!  The snow will be pounding all season, the quality beer will surely be flowing, and the 350Z gets parked for 3 or 4 months.


We set our leave date for Monday, November 15th...4 weeks.  We are trying to lock in a nice place, we gotta do that soon though cause places are gonna close up quickly.  Gonna be renting a 5x9 flatbed to tow behind Matt's Jeep Cherokee.  I gotta be out of my current place by the 8th.  Probably gonna stay with my friend Erin for a week, then it's time to peace out.


My job at Thirst has turned up to be an overall loss of financial ground.  I like the owners i suppose.  Leslie is cool, especially when she drinks.  Sometimes I think she is the only reason I'm still there.  It seems as though Gary just doesn't trust me.  Charlie is actually a cool, carefree kid..BUT has a horribly noticeable sense of entitlement that causes him to look down on others unconsciously, and he knows way too much that a lot of people don't really wanna hear.  Julia is nice outside work, but she is a Food & Beverage infant.  Almost everyone except for Erin is greedy.  Devon and Brent turned out to be cool.  Dan is the man.  I guess I shouldn't be mad at people (and I'm not) because so many in the industry are greedy: nothing new.  I thought business it would pick up but it never did.  I went from nice paychecks/lots of hours, to less hours and making a LITTLE bit of tips.  Washout.  I was probably a little to spend-thrifty when I got to Portland.  But no sense crying over spilled pocketbooks! 


Portland just doesn't work that well for me.  At least not right now.  I mean I can be comfortable anywhere for a time.  But it's about function and finding a place that I love day in and day out.  I've been looking to venture and discover areas OUTSIDE Portland ever since I got here.  I long more for a tent by a lake and a campfire more than here.  Shit, I think I'd rather be back in Phoenix at this point (just a comparison, no one freak out please).


I am ridiculously excited to have a date set and an eye on the prize (with the other eye firmly set on my financial woes).  I will miss Gretchen, Bobby, Erin and Shawn.  We will cross paths again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you gave Portland a shot, and now you know. Hope you guys are staying warm enough out there in Big Sky. Have you made use of that hottub yet? Hopefully by now you are all working and getting the flow going. I'm looking forward to some updates. I'm thinking in Feb. sometime trying to head over there, but we'll see. Keep in touch, and don't let Fish get too crazy on his board.

    ReplyDelete